Research optimization of the hull form of the ship with the coordination of the requirements for propulsive and seakeeping qualities
Manuscript of - 1985, 1998-2003.
ISBN 5-8044-0367-2. Vladivostok: Dalnauka, 2003.
Khramushin V.N, Computational Fluid Mechanics & Oceanography laboratory
Special Research Bureau for Automation of Marine Researches
Far Eastern Branch of Russian Academy of Sciences
The book is devoted to all-round research of the ship navigation, caused by architecture and contours of the hull. The statement begins with the historic-technical review of seaworthiness of fleet and then makes the conclusions about seaworthy qualities and design decisions realized in the ships of the most famous seafarers. The mathematical models of ship contours are shown and these models allow analyzing influence of the characteristics of contours of the case on wave resistance. There you can find complete mathematical calculations for getting integrals of wave resistance account of Michell where length of a wave is used as argument, and sub-integral function is determined through the amplitude of a wave radiated by the hull of a ship. It has allowed making the physic-geometrical interpretation of waves creating of ship, on which basis the complex of the empirical amendments necessary for restoration of a wave field and specification of features of wave resistance calculation is proposed. Projected on the basis of conclusions from the historic-technical analysis and by results of a series of wave resistance calculations of hull form of ship model, from which in 1985 the comparative tests of propulsive qualities and seaworthiness in conditions of roughness were realized. The material is stated in the brief form, but accurate enough for calculating and experiments. You can find there a lot of conclusions and design decisions on maintenance of ship seaworthiness and courts of various assignments. The book must be interesting for the science officers, ship engineers, and students of shipbuilding faculties and all interested by a history of fleet, ship seaworthiness and questions connected to designing of hull form and general ship architecture.
© 85-98-2003, Saint-Petersburg - Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk
For the Teacher,
Chair of Ship Theory professor,
Alexander N. Kholodylin,
In this document you can find the questions of practical designing of the hull form of the ship adapted to navigation in conditions of storm roughness. In a basis of it is the personal reflections made on running watches during the navigation practice, and generalized at performance of degree work on a specialty in "Fluid-mechanics of the Ship" of Shipbuilding institute.
In the first part is submitted the technique-historical analysis of representations development about the most seaworthy form of the hull of the ship. The most known ocean ships are examined in it, which were projected by seafarers knowing assignment of the ship and condition of it navigation. The second part is devoted to the engineering decisions with use of calculus mathematics and geometrical interpretation of the hull form of the ship, as source of wave radiation. The third part begins with designing of the hull form of hypothetical model of the ship and description of features of its stability diagrams. These materials anticipate the analysis of propulsive qualities and seaworthiness of the new hull, which were carried out in 1985 in towing tank of Shipbuilding institute. At the end, there is an attempt of drawing up a system of the uninconsistent requirements to appearance of the ship as a whole.
The book of G.E. Pavlenko "Resistance of water to a movement of ships" was used for computing analysis of wave resistance of the ship. In this book special attention is concentrated on geometrical interpretation of wave creating of ship and the half-empirical methods of numerical integration of the Michell's formulas. In the G. Newman's book " Sea hydrodynamics" were found the basic ideas at physical interpretation of Michell's formulas. The picture of wave creating is illustrated in it. This picture was used at reception of empirical ratios, taking into account the amplitudes extremity of a ship wave near to the hull. Choosing the analytical description of hull form, realization of systematic calculating of wave resistance was done. The empirical formulas were formed, ensuring the form of frames close to contours, shown in Y.S. Timoshin's book "Application opportunities of computing methods for optimization of the hull configuration".
The theoretical hull of hypothetical model of the ship was designed to carry out comparison of tests with a standard Taylor series, materials of which are given in the book "Principles of Naval Architecture". The tests were made on critical speeds of motion and on maximum allowable roughness and for effective comparison in these modes of navigation the model of a vessel of the 60-th series was tested parallel. Brief materials of the 60-th series are published in the book "Resistance, propulsion and steering of ships".
The project of the perspective ship is constructed on the basis of the historical analysis of the hull form and takes into account the requirements to the ship as to the system stated in the book of Thomas C. Gillmer "Modern ship design".
§ 1. Technician-history analysis of ship seakeeping
Stormy seakeeping and navigation safety researches for hull form design. // The 2-nd Asia-Pacific Workshop on Marine Hydrodynamics. (APHydro-2004). June 21-22, 2004
Sources of information
- Artjushkov N.R., Propulsion calculating for movement ship in the specify environment, SPb, Shipbuilding institute, 1983.
- Badigin K., On the ice-cold seas, Moscow, State publishing house of the geographical literature, 1956.
- Bachelor G., Introduction in fluid mechanics, Moscow, World, 1973.
- Van-Lammeren, Troost, Koning. Resistance, propulsion and steering of ships. SPb, Shipbuilding publishing, 1957.
- Voytkynskiy J.I., Fluid-mechanics, SPb, Shipbuilding, 1982.
- Voytkynskiy J.I., Resistance of water to a movement of ships, SPb, Shipbuilding, 1964.
- Thomas С. Gillmer. Modern Ship Design. SPb, Shipbuilding, 1984.
- Kostjukov A.A., Resistance of water to a movement of courts, SPb, Shipbuilding, 1966.
- Kurti О. Construction of ship models. The encyclopedia of ship modeling. SPb, Shipbuilding, 1977.
- Melnikov R.M., Destroyer of a type "Izmail", Shipbuilding № 8, SPb, Shipbuilding, 1981.
- Michell J.H. The wave resistance of a ship // Philosophical Magazine, ser. 5.London, 1898. Vol. 45. pp.106-123.
- Nogid L.M., Stability of a vessel and its behavior on roughness sea, SPb, Shipbuilding, 1972.
- Newman G., Sea hydromechanics, L., Shipbuilding, 1985.
- Principles of Naval Architecture. V.1-2, SPb, Shipbuilding, 1948.
- Pavlenko G.E., Resistance of water to a movement of vessels. Moscow, 1953.
- Reference book of theory of the ship, v.1, under edition of Voytkynsky J.I., SPb, Shipbuilding, 1985.
- Turbal V.K., Shpakov V.S., Shtumph V.M., Designing of contours and movers of sea transport vessels, SPb., Shipbuilding, 1984.
- Hanke H., People, Ships, Oceans. SPb., Shipbuilding, 1976.
- Haskind M.D., Hydrodynamical theory of ship rolling, Moscow, Science, 1973.
- Shebalov A.N., Nonlinear theory of waves and wave resistance, L., LKI, 1984.
- Kane John R., The Speed of the SS United States, Marine Technology, vol. 15, № 2, April 1978, pp.119-143.